Friday, June 29, 2007

Adventures with Acrylic Paint

Adventures with Acrylic Paint

Well, this one is kind of complex, so it warrented a blog to explain the steps. Nearly all the materials for this layout came from this June's scrapgoods kit, as did the technique used for the background paper.

First, I used a punch to get the flower outline shape. I punched about 6 of them with some heavy cardstock. Then I applied temporary adhesive to the back and let it dry to sticky. I laid it on the dark blue cardstock and used the cloud blue Adarondak paint dobber to dab over the mask. I lifted the mask up with an exacto knife and repositioned and continued. No, I didn't cover the whole thing, only a 2" band around the outside because that is where people would see.

Next I cut the two large background papers and inked the edges with denim distress ink. Then I applied them to the layout. I stamped the flourish with staz-on. I dyed the square brads blue by rolling silver ones on the staz-on pad (I'm slowly collecting the whole line cause they are so darn useful).

This monogram is kind of detailed. It is a clear on printed on transparency. I turned it over and took a paint brush dipped in water based acrylic varnish and then dipped it in pearl ex. You'll need to mix it a bit on a scrap piece of transparency but it only takes about one drop of varnish and one to two dips in the pearl ex to create enough to do the whole job. Then I painted it into the areas of the transparency. Be sure to DO THIS ON THE BACK of the image as the black parts of the image will be on top of the pearl ex and the detail will be far better (plus, you don't have to be as careful). Next, after it dried, it needed to be protected or it would chip off. So, I laid the entire transparency piece on one of those ultra tacky tape sheets and cut it out. I had my transparency "sticker" and I applied it to the layout.

This one was a lot of work and has a lot of detail. It's so me. I love to work all kinds of subtle details into a layout. And this one was a challenge because I didn't like how the school too horizontal pictures that left all that white space. Ugh. I had to fill it. White space tends to make me anxious. I once subscribed the simple scrapbooks magazine and sent the invoice back with a note: "too simple for me." LOL. I wish I were a simpler scrapper, but I'm driven by my art to do ones like this.

















Friday, June 8, 2007

Easter Bunny Layout

Here's one of my latest creations. I'll do a step by step discussion of how I did this. Most of the materials used in this layout came from the fabulous scrapgoods June scrapgoods kit. It's so lovely.

The first step was to create the swirly background. I use a sketch from a sketch artist on a board I know. Here is a link to the sketch: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_xYxNdQZzWOM/Rl5nEukuFkI/AAAAAAAAABc/jMOWJ7dmIBo/s1600-h/skissa5_1.jpg and here is a link to her sketch blog: http://gettinsketchy.blogspot.com/ I turned her sketch on it's side to make it suit my photo.

Then I did the background by taking a template from club scrap and "tapping" adirondack "cloudy blue" acrylic paint though it. When it dried, I took a glue pen and hand penned a line on the swirl and sprinkled it with glitter.

For the flowers, I used a stamp from scrapgoods and used yellow embossing powder that came with the June EP101 kit. I embossed them on vellum and cut them out. In this detail picture, I stacked two of the large flowers, added a button, and tied it all together with silk ribbon.


For the faux "ribbon" on the right bottom of the layout, I used the dymo-style tape new from hot off the press with their new embossing tool. I cut the end into a swallow tail pattern. For the "button," I took a plain silver 1/2" brad and coated it in ultramarine staz-on. Then I dipped it in molten UTTE and then into microbeads.


For my final close up, I'd like to talk about the title. I took a stampin up alphabet and inked it with Versamagic "aegean blue" and then stamped it onto a dry swirly background stamp. Then I stamped it on a heavy, glossy white chipboard and cut out the letters, leaving a white border. I coated the letters in glossy effects glue. I made the "easter" tag out of shrink plastic. I used an angel company alpha to stamp the letters.


I hope you enjoy this layout!