Monday, September 21, 2009

Of homemade embellishments!

Well, day two of the cardvaarks sketch challenges... This card became an opportunity for something I LOVE to do... make my own embellishments. The splitcoast technique challenge this week was to make homemade buttons. I found some little (I mean very little) scraps of some of my favorite My Mind's Eye paper and made 3 buttons...

I'm also really excited about the new canvas embellishments I've been seeing in the scrap stores lately... but not so excited about the price. So I went to my JoAnns... bought a big chunk of canvas... and pulled out my big shot. The fabric flower was made thusly: I cut it out. Then I got it really wet. Then I dripped "Stream" colored adarondak ink (from those giant spray bottles) onto the center. I sprayed it with coffee colored glimmer mist, focusing on the edges. Yum. I also sprayed glimmer mist on the giant photo corner. I'm so glad to use these! They've sat in my stash for over a year.

Well, being rather pleased with the results, I decided that I would make a scrapbook page... because I get to keep those. I give cards away. It's a constant dilemma for me.

Similar stuff here. Same stampin up stamp set. Used up the last scraps of that paper. I even liked the title of the paper line: "tres jolie" (very pretty in french)... so I made it into an embellishment. The stamp set was an old stampin up set. The little circle I used in the center of the flowers came from the Angel Company. Paper is bazzil and club scrap.
Those little brown flowers are just saturated in glimmer mist. If you want the canvas to have a dilute look (like the large flowers) get it wet before adding the ink and then blot with a paper towel. If you want an intense look (like the little brown flowers) saturate dry canvas with the ink.
Those alpha stickers are again really old stash finds. They came from an old club scrap kit (like 5-6 years old-- score one for using up the stash and scraps from the scrap box!)

4 comments:

SmilynStef said...

Love the idea of making your own canvas embellishments ... gorgeous sketch design.

lauren bergold said...

how utterly clever to make your own canvas embellishments! and what is even cooler is that they can be customized to match your designs PERFECTLY! now THAT is brilliant!!!

Michelle Giraud said...

Fantastic job on the Caardvarks sketch. Thanks for playing along.

Nathalia Castellon said...

Wonderful card and beautiful colors!